Thursday, June 18, 2015

Your library card

Do you use yours on a regular basis?  Are you concerned that your library card  has expired?  Or are you not sure if you even have a library card any longer?  In the last month, I've connected with my local library more than all the times over the last year combined.  Things have changed and I've been pleasantly surprised by these changes so I wanted to give you a heads up.  If you aren't already aware of these changes you might find yourself feeling immense gratitude for this free external resource.  

My mother died three months ago (in case you've wondered why I haven't posted on this blog for the last few months, it's because I've been focused internally and grieving).  I've added new support systems into my life to support me through the grieving process.  Some of the people who are now supporting me have been suggesting books for me to read for various reasons.  Consequently, I've slowed down the pace of my life and am enjoying reading everyday, once again.
  
Over the course of this last month I've ben impressed and grateful for my library card.  I have renewed books via my computer with the online system and saved myself a drive back and forth to the closest branch  I've checked books out of the local branch without the help of a librarian since the system has been automated to scan both library cards and books.  I even receive email reminders when books are due, which support me in avoiding late fees.  All these changes are available due to technology and I'm finding that they make using my library card much easier, more helpful, and less time consuming.      

This afternoon I went to my local library's website and checked for a book someone recommended to me.  I was surprised to see that there were 247 people waiting for this book.  I was simultaneously delighted to see that the library has 54 copies of this book!  I was able to see the status for each copy: how many were in transit from one location to another, when each copy was due back to each location, and more.  I placed my request for this book, using the little plastic tag I have on my keychain, and placed a hold on one of these copies of the book in less than three minutes,  from my home computer, without ever leaving my home.  

Last week, when I received an email notifying me that the book I was currently reading would need to be returned to the library within 4 days, I went to the library's  website and was able to renew that book, as well as one I had not even started to read yet, that was also due in four days.  This renewal process took less than two minutes to google the website, log into my account, and renew both books for an additional two weeks.  What a relief to have the process be so easy!

Another use of my library card that I enjoy is "renting" videos, Cd's and DVD's-for free.  My favorite films are documentaries yet our local library has a host of other genres as well.    

I want to also mention books on tape.  What a resource for those of you who drive more than 20 minutes each day.  You can learn a new language and/or be inspired for an upcoming vacation by listening to these amazing resources.  In the past, my life has been enriched and my time used efficiently while commuting and listening to books on tape.  My partner John and I read to each other most evenings and what a nurturing treat it is to do this for each other.  Books on tape nurture you even when your partner has other plans.

So I'm learning and growing and grieving and saving time and gasoline by utilizing my library card.  How's that for an external resource that enhances your life?  Have you found uses for your library card in addition to those I've mentioned above?  If so, please share below so we can all enjoy them!  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment